Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bone Bender - 2011

What a fun race and great trail.  Being pretty much a couch potatoe over the last 5 months due to injury and only about 4 weeks to train for this event, I did not have any expectations but to get out and push myself a little.  I made the crucial error of not jumping out in front at the beginning, but honestly I was just hoping to stay out of people's way.  For the first 23 minutes it was a walk-a-thon as we headed into the trail. 

I finally managed to get around horads of people and find some guys that were more my speed to ride with.  I felt pretty good lap 1 and kept picking people off on the technical climbs.  By the end of lap 2, my legs were cramping and I was popping endurolytes by the handful.  I drank about 100oz of water, but I guess I need more sodium.  I will have to dial that in.  By the middle of the 3rd lap I was just telling myself to keep moving forward.  I was getting lapped by the leaders, but I was not getting passed by anyone else, so that felt good.

I ended up finishing 25 out of 52 riders RESULTS.  That is encouraging and will make me train harder.  A better start and a bit more fitness, I could easily improve.

Here is a video of some of the more "flowy" sections and a couple of the technical climbs.

No comments: