Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Race Day

Well the Hills of Hell cometh and goeth, but the memories will remain. Cole, Jason and I met early Saturday morning and drove to Lawton, OK.



Seeing the mountains in the distance always makes me feel like I am entering a different world. You have to remember I am born and raised in Kansas, so seeing anything but a flat piece of farmland is exciting.

We went for a pre-ride to scope out the track. On the first climb, Cole and I realized we needed more meat on our tires. The Larson TT's we were running could not bite the loose rocky soil on the steep climb. We dealt with it, but knew we had to make some changes once we got back to the hotel.


The ride was pretty awesome. we were surrounded by granite rock and in typical Heavy D fashioin I excuted yet another flawless turtle back maneuver. Jason had not had an opportunity see it up close and personal. I think he was impressed.
If you do not know what that is, I do not blame you. It is my signature move to protect my bike when I crash... Here is an example.









Well we followed the orange arrows for the most part which mapped out the race course. We took a power bar break at the top to enjoy the scenery or was it really to catch our breath?

Here is Cole and Jason with their bikes. Is Jason making a statement with his larger wheels?


We continued on the course, climbing and decending, working through some pretty technical terrain. There is always that perfect balance between hard and too hard. Most of the course was challenging, but some of it we found just not rideable. I am sure that speaks of our lack of skill, but hey we are just weekend warriors anyways.





more to come tomorrow....

1 comment:

Lanterne Rouge said...

Looks killer. Did you race in baggies? Coulda save mucho time there. : )